HISTORY OF THE COUNCIL
Jiribam town is the Sub-Divisional headquarter of Jiribam Sub-Division in the Imphal East District of the state. Although Jiribam is located at a distance of 222 kms from Imphal but due to its topographical characteristics it is attached to Imphal District for administrative reasons. Jiribam has a long history of its own. Settlement at present town started some time in the beginning of the Century around 1904 A.D. The local administration was looked after by one Darwan of the King. Jiribam became a Mauzar in 1940 and the office of the Mauzardar of Jiribam was converted into S.D.C. office in 1950.
The Jiribam Municipal Council is responsible for the development of Jiribam town which is the Sub-Divisional headquarter of Jiribam Sub-Division in the Imphal East District of the state.